Joe gets a Retail Balls Award for standing up to ridiculous Discount Rat who threw a tantrum and played the race card. Our man Joe did not back down:
No set-up today, just the dialogue...
Me: "Did you find everything you needed, sir?"
Custy: "Yeah, sure did. This is a pretty good sale you're having."
- "Yeah, we're trying to clear out all the summer stock to make room."
- "That's 60% and a extra 20% off, right?"
- "Yes sir, with the coupon."
- "Well, I don't HAVE the coupon. I still get the 20% off, right?"
- "Well if you don't have the coupon, do you have texting on your cellphone?"
- "Yeah, why?"
- "Great! Just text the word "SALE" to the number ***** and you'll get a code that I can enter here at the register that'll save you the 20%."
- "It'll just take a few seconds, sir, and you'll get the codes for future sales too without having to clip coupons."
- "You know what? This is bullshit! I'm the CUSTOMER here!"
- "Yes you are, but-"
- "I'm going to go to another register and you can bet your ass THEY'LL give me the 20!"
(So he grabbed his stuff and stormed off. Ten minutes later, he's back.)
- "THEY gave me the discount, SMART GUY! What do ya' think of THAT?"
- "I think: good-for-YOU."
- "You want to get RACIAL with this now?"
- "You goddamn RIGHT I want to get racial! You know what? Take off that fancy suit jacket and we can settle this outside right NOW!"
- "What are we, back in HIGH SCHOOL now? You think we're gonna go throw down in the parking lot? Are you INSANE?"
- "NO I'm NOT!"
- "Well you MUST be if you think I'm gonna fight because YOU didn't have a COUPON!"
- "You're a racist ASSHOLE! I WILL be back and I WILL kick your ass!
- "I'll be right here."
So, he left in a huff. Actually he left in a minute and a huff.
The best part: the head of Loss Prevention was standing about 12 feet away the whole time. He told me, "If he comes back, call me IMMEDIATELY."
I'm getting too OLD for this shit!
...and the dance goes on.
--Joe the Cigar Guy