I'm drowning - and there's not a drop of water anywhere to be found - it's all paperwork. Time in yesterday, 7:30 - 5:30, then another hour at home, today started at 7:15 with no end in sight! Yeah! Oh, did I mention I'm salary so there's no reward? I've included an awesome picture to illustrate my drowning situation - this is my desk after I've sorted the piles and done about 12" worth of filing.
Here are a few things that have really set me off lately:
1) Boss asks me if I have too much on my plate - YES I DO! "How can I help?" Don't give me anything extra for the next few days. He says okay, then asks me 1 hour later if I can get 3 quotes for some new magnets - which I have to design, then compare all the quotes, relay his questions, then get the answers back. Now I have the answers, and he's not picking up his phone! (see #2)
2) Boss asks for something to be done at 5:00pm, then wonders why it's not done by 8:00am the next day. I see the fault in the logic, however, he does not.
3) Mean, stupid, or just dumb spouses - men & women. Normally, its not even a spouse, it's a "friend". If you've waited 10 years to do some windows and have signed a contract with us - we are doing the Goddamn Windows. I really don't care if he questions everything and makes you feel bad - you let him and he's not paying for any of it! If you have contractors that refuse to deal with your "friend", there is also an issue (their furnace guy knows us and said, "Are you sure you want to work with them?" - that's not a good sign).
4) Waiting until the summer is almost over to finally make a decision. We saw you in April, it is now the end of July. In-between those months, we have sold some stuff! I know it's hard to believe that the world doesn't revolve you and your schedule, but the people who gave me money are now ahead of you. And no, we can't guarantee installation before the snow flies - it's Wisconsin and I'm booked until October 15. Snow could come in September, October, or anytime after that. We told you that last year when you put off the project for the 3rd year in a row, and I had written you off and as NG. That means NO GOOD!
5) Rain delays - I hate you rain. I hate you with the white hot passion of 1,000 suns. You come at the most inconvenient times, and people do not understand why we must move back their job a day due to not being able to complete a job the day before because of the rain. I try my best to be on time, but I can't yet control the weather. When my mutant powers kick in - I'll let you know.
6) If I schedule an appointment, then the boss tells me to reset it to a later time and I do - don't ask me to call back for a 3rd time and reschedule again. I set it, you run it. Now I have 2 pissed off customers, and they both think I'm stupid or incompetent - or maybe both! I can't tell them, the boss made me do it because he didn't want to, that would be bad (but I sure would feel a whole lot better).
Other than that, suddenly everyone in my life is stupid and needs my attention. The only one that is going to get it is my son - everyone else, take a number and wait until I call you! On the up side, I've lost some weight this month so that's good - always nice to have loose jeans.
--Little Slave in the Big Northwoods