List of the worst things about working in retail stores. The retail world is a tough place. Retail, for most, is not a fun job. In fact, it can be down right miserable. There are many times retail employees are day dreaming about having one of these best jobs in the world or these fun jobs that pay well.
Retail employees have a difficult job, and it's hard to understand if you haven't experienced it first hand. The expectations are always high and generally come from a corporate office that does not know what it is like to work on a sales floor. Not only do retail employees have to clean, stock, and maintain a store, they have to balance constant customer service, ringing a register, and some insane customers.
List Criteria: Vote for your least favorite part of working retail and add your own pet peeves.
2. People - 10% of customers are great people. The other 90% slowly force you to hate humanity.
3. Customers Who Don't Believe Everything is on the Floor - If an employee tells you that everything is on the floor, they are usually telling the truth. When you insist they check anyway, they spend 5 minutes out back trash talking you while pretending to look.
4. Working Weekends - If you want to see a retail employee lose their mind, say to them the phrase 'Sunday Funday.'
5. Customer Service Program - 1. Greet every customer within 1 minute. 2. Ask "open-ended questions." 3. Keep eye contact and a smile. 4. Subdue the thoughts of suicide.
6. Customer Says, "It Didn't Scan So It Must Be Free" - Every time you have to make that fake smirk to avoid awkwardness, a small part of your soul dies.
7. Clopen - Leaving a closing shift and doing an opening shift the following day.
8. Customers Who Keep Shopping Past Closing - "No, please continue shopping. I love being here 45 minutes later than I should be because you want to keep looking and then spend $11."
9. Customers Complaining About Price - It's a chain store. Not a mom and pop. Their prices are not negotiable. And if they do "hook you up," it flags in the system and they are fired. But hey, you saved $5!
11. Working Hungover - 90% of the people helping you are hungover. Drinking is the only thing that keeps them from killing you.
12. District Managers - Judging you one day at a time from a morning email of numbers.
13. Customers Who Expect You to Fetch Their List - "Here is my list of things I want. Go fetch!"
14. Single Coverage - "If I have to pee, who is going to watch for thieves?!"
15. Working Holidays - It is not a merry or happy anything when you have to work.
16. Upselling - "I see you are buying this $40 item. Can I interest you in this $50 accessory? PLEASE BUY IT OR THEY WILL WRITE ME UP!"
17. Ringing Register - At some point, every employee will face that moment where they have a line of mean muggin customers and no back up cashier. What makes it even better is every customer who says, "Are you the only one here? Why don't they staff more people?"
18. Inventory - Inventory is worse than losing a loved one.
19. Secret Shoppers - Anyone can sign up to be a "secret shopper" without needing an interview. This person can simply make up the answers to a survey that jeopardizes someone else's job.
21. Doubles - Working open to close happens more often than you think.
22. Returns - Who the hell buys this much stuff they don't actually want?!?!?
23. Night Shifts - Looking out the front window of the store seeing people going to enjoy their night while you fix the display some jerk kid knocked over.
24. Morning Shifts Before the Sun Rises - There is not enough coffee or Red Bulls in the world.
25. Audits - Senseless score keeping that is done by requirement. It is dreaded by the store and district manager alike.
26. Customer Holds - You know you aren't going to go back tomorrow. Why are you making me hold it?
27. Loss Prevention Managers - They have a quota of employees they are expected to catch stealing or making honest mistakes at register and fire.
28. Store Managers - Thanks for giving me orders from your throne on wheels.
29. Conference Calls - District Manager: "Why are your sales numbers down?" Store Manager: "Because you make me sit on the phone for hours a day talking to you when I should be on the floor."
30. Regional Managers - They are thought to be a myth until that once a quarter visit when you crap your pants.
--via Ejlinehan at http://www.ranker.com