After three weeks in a gas station/convenience store, I've compiled a small list of things people might take into consideration when entering a gas station.
1. The cashiers are not, contrary to popular belief, psychic. So when you come in, and throw your money on the counter, we can't magically know what you'd like to happen. You might want to tell us where you are parked, how much gas you have pumped, or how much you WOULD like pumped.
2. The gas pumps have numbers over them! I promise! If you look up, you'll see it, and telling the cashier what number is above your car will help us not give the gas you paid for to another customer.
3. There are signs at the end of the pumps that say 'PRE-PAY/CREDIT ONLY'. You can stand out there for an hour, but unless you use a card or come in and pay...we aren't allowed to turn it on. Flipping me off when I do my job...doesn't really get you much help.
4. Yes! We sell coffee! The one that says 'decaf' on it? That's the decaffeinated coffee. 'Original' means that, yes, there is caffeine!
5. When you walk into the store to use the restroom, and you walk into an unmarked door, you've managed to find the back room! The one's marked 'Ladies' and 'Gentlemen'...those have toilets.
6. Pleasee please please please PLEASEEEEEE don't buy a coffee [which is $1.91] and pay me with a hundred dollar bill. We have to deposit money in the safe, which means, we can't make change for it. I have no problems with hundreds if you buy lots of gas or something, but a dollar? Really? You make me make sad faces.
7. Don't come in, pick up one item, throw it on the counter, go across the store, pick up another item, then go across the store AGAIN, for another item. At least not when there are other customers...
8. Get off your cell phone. I will talk over you. You're being rude. I cannot tell you how much you owe/how much change you get if you're busy talking about how you need to trim your damn toenails. Just call them back.
9. If the cashier has a line, and is talking to another customer, don't stand to the side and scream silly questions at me. I'll ignore you. [p.s., bad idea to be rude to someone possibly handling something that you plan on ingesting]
10. If I say 'pump 11', don't go to pump 12 and bang on the wall and get irritated at me. I said 11. There are large numbers posted. Your money started number 11. Therefore, you should take one step to your right, and try using pump 11. I bet it'll work.
It's so depressing that most of these have to do with reading a large sign, or common sense. Tryyyyyy to use your brains, guys, I know society's making it harder...but fight it!
--The Gas Girl