From Patricia, Consumer Affairs
We picked up a burrito at our local Chipotle. My daughter bit into her burrito and found something very hard in her bite.
When she took it out of her mouth to see what it was, it was a screw!! We immediately called the restaurant. We were told to bring it into the store.
My husband and daughter both went into the store and gave the screw to the manager.
They were told it probably came from the cheese grater.
No apologies were made but they were sent home with free burrito coupons.
Personally, I feel like it was an insult. They simply blew it off as an "oh well, this happens" situation.
Needless to say we will not be returning to that Chipotle and spreading the word about the unsanitary conditions of their equipment. I'm considering contacting the health board as well. I would have included the receipt but our Chipotle throws our receipts away after we order so there was none to include.