In this world, there are crustys who have never worked a day in retail in their life. This gives them an imagined superiority over "those people," as well as the delusion of retail slaves being the ones at fault for working in said jobs. "If your job is really that horrible, quit your job, get a better education and get a better job!"
Never mind the reality that is bills, food and a roof over your head that kind of requires a job, not to mention funding for said schooling.
Those people are bad enough. The ones who are worse, in my opinion, are the ones who pull the "I work in customer service..." card.
So not only are they all of the above criteria, but they have the added bonus of claiming to know your job better than you do. Now add to that "the customer is always right! You HAVE to..." topping on the shit-tastic sundae.
- they wouldn't be screaming at you over an expired coupon
- they wouldn't be wrongfully claiming "It's the law!"
- they wouldn't be throwing a tantrum in order to get their way
- they wouldn't be cursing out someone who has no control over the situation
- they wouldn't be demanding that everybody be fired simply because they're not getting what they demand
- they wouldn't be telling you what you 'should' be doing
- the line 'I would NEVER treat a customer this way!" would never cross their lips
I swear, the line "I work in customer service..." is your one and only warning before they spill vile lies into your ears and berate you for failing to fulfill your duty as a "customer service representative."