So, a long, long time ago, when the retail store I worked for took back anything (no matter how long it had been or how used) as long as the customer had the receipt, I was manning the Customer Service desk, not having too bad of a day.
Older lady comes up to the counter and wants to return a phone. Not a cell phone, just one of those $20.00 hang on the wall phones. She had had it for three months, and for some reason, she couldn't hear people on it anymore, the line was just filled with static. The phone was in a shopping bag, since she didn't have the box anymore. (Not a problem).
Now, she's a very nice woman, dressed nicely, not dirty or gross(this is relevant, promise!) Very easy transaction, she gives me change to make it an even $20.00 back, and goes on her merry way. I pick up the bag and place it to my left with the claims ticket, since a line had formed behind her and I didn't have time to put it in the correct bin.
After I finish up with the line(about 20 min), I turn to the bag and go to draw the phone out of the bag to put it in a bin. As I do, the plastic bag falls on the floor, and the back of the phone comes off(the part that screws into the wall). And this HUGE clump of ANTS(yes, little black sugar ants) comes out onto the counter, and the little ants start going crazy, running all over my arm, the counter, the phone! It was so gross!
I realized, after I had calmed down and cleaned up everything, that this was the reason her phone didn't work! Ants! No phone was going to work for long. How do you even have that bad of an ant problem and not know??? I still, to this day, can't stand the sight off a bunch of little black things clumped together(bird seed, etc).